Men Becoming Disciples

28. September 2013 08:37 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

Sunday September 29, 2013 at 4pm I have the unimaginable privilege of returning to the place where my walk with Jesus began to preach at their Men's Day Service. The theme of the program is "Men Becoming Disciples" with a Scriptural theme being Matthew 4: 18 ~ 22.

The sermon topic and text has already been chosen but I would love to share the outline with you.

Outline:

In the text we see three things that are going to help us Men Become Disciples. Jesus makes 3 powerful statements in our process of discipleship.

1.      Jesus gives us a Command to follow

2.     Jesus takes ownership in Creating in us a heart for discipleship

3.     Then Jesus calls for an immediate Change

Jesus gives a command, Jesus creates, and Jesus calls for a change. Men if you want to be a disciple you MUST come under Jesus command, submit to His creation in you, and walk in His change.

My goal and desire is to point to the fact that Jesus call to discipleship is what makes men, men. In order to become a disciple you must follow Jesus in the way He calls you to follow Him. As we will explore this call we will see it is like the old saying, "Swallowing a horse pill".

I will be discussing text like:

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

And its counterpart, Matthew 10:38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.

There is practically a blessing with following Jesus but also there is an inevitable curse with NOT following Jesus or shall I say Becoming His Disciple.

My hearts desire is to point out both in which both men and women will see their great need for Jesus. Please pray for me and if your schedule allows please come and fellowship.

The name of the Church is:

Pastor Freelon Threlkeld

Faith Baptist Temple

1073 E. Grand Blvd

Flint, MI 48505

September 29, 2013 @ 4pm

Time To Reform What?

25. September 2013 11:45 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

Time To Reform What?

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

The name of this blog is Time 4 Reformation, but time to reform what? This is NOT directly a reference to the historic reformation but more so a reference to our current culture. We live in a world today that is in utter chaos, but what is being done about? Nothing! Our Churches are pragmatic and our neighborhoods are scurrying here and there just trying to make it. Come sometime and join me walking the streets of Flint, MI where I live and see for yourselves that we are on a utter train wreck.

Some say, "If only there were more jobs" & others say "the government needs to do more for our revitalization” but what change is that really going to bring? Some even go so far as to say we need more inner city programs. I won't deny those things will help but that won’t bring lasting hope. Well, they say, the churches need to do more...Really? Do more what? Do more banquets, more services, and more annual events? Do more what?

I was told a long time ago that the definition of insanity was to do the same thing over and over again and expect new results. It's just not possible. Most churches have the same programs this year that they had last year and will have the same next and wonder why people aren't growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity (2 Peter 3:18). So I won't to help by encouraging you to consider that it's Time 4 a Reformation.

Time 4 Reformation is a Biblical statement. Some time ago I was reading in the book of Hebrews and this passage of Scripture grabbed a hold of me. Take a look:

Hebrews 9:8-14
The Holy Spirit is signifying this, that the way into the holy place has not yet been disclosed while the outer tabernacle is still standing, which is a symbol for the present time. Accordingly both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make the worshiper perfect in conscience, since they relate only to food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until a time of reformation.   But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation; and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God!

The day I read this I was immediately FREE from all denominational strangles and entanglements.

I believe it's Time 4 a Reformation in some key specific areas. All these gifts and sacrifices, food and drink, and various washings, regulations, and church service after Church service weren’t making me a worshiper perfect in conscience. Someone had forgotten to tell me that Christ had appeared as my high priest of the good things to come. Jesus Christ done entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, and not through the blood of goats and calves and annual events, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

It was at that time I turned to myself and said, "self, you been redeemed, yous free from any worldly bondages or religious ritual entanglements. From that day forward Reformation had taken place in my life. There were 4 key areas that have been radically reformed in my life and the same 4 areas I believe it's Time 4 Reformation of what Christians believe as well.

Here are the 4:

1) It's Time 4 Reformation in our idea of Manhood & Womanhood

2) It's Time 4 Reformation in our World views.

3) It's Time 4 Reformation in our family structures.

4) It's Time 4 Reformation in our Churches. (Especially the inner city)

These 4 key areas will radically change your life. Over the next several weeks I'm going to tackle all these areas. It's Time 4 Reformation in your life. It's time to bring eternal change to your life. No more superficial change for a season but firm lasting Biblical Reformation because Christ has come died and rose again from the dead. Therefore be changed, transformed & reformed & conformed to the image of the Son, Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 8:29).

I'll begin with Manhood or shall I say Biblical Manhood. I'll address it in two ways. One way is through my sermon notes from a sermon that I will be preaching on September 29, 2013 at a Men's Day service locally in Flint, MI. The theme is "Men Becoming Disciples" Matthew 4: 18-22. Then I'll just speak from my heart and share in areas that men need to reform in their lives.

My prayer is that Reformation takes hold in your life and you be free to serve the living God.

Lucky Number 13

15. September 2013 19:36 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (1)

There is an old saying, "If you want to make God laugh tell Him your plans". I'm sure this took place when, at the age of twenty, I made a commitment to myself NOT to get married until I was forty-five.  I, like most unsaved men at that age, desired to spread my wild oats for as many years as I could. I savored my "freedom" from the "old ball and chain".  I look back on those days and want to call myself all kinds of idiots.

Today I celebrate my 13th year of marriage and I only have one regret in marrying Stephanie Smith. That regret is that I didn't marry her sooner.

I can recall those first weeks of salvation and it was as if God was speaking to me to get married or I would never experience the blessings of life. I know, I know, Christ came to give us life and life more abundantly, but my abundance was connected to walking in obedience to marry my Suga. After thirteen years Stephanie has been to me all that the Bible describes a wife to be. I truly could not imagine tomorrow without her. Stephanie truly is the love of my life, the apple of my eye, the wind beneath my wings, she is the air I breath. She is even more than that.

The Bible says much about a godly wife which I've seen develop in her over the years such as, Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house Psalm 128:3. Boy is this true! Nothing in my home functions right without her. I sometimes don't believe Stephanie realizes her value in my life and the lives of our six children. My wife means more to me than anything in this world.

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing" is probably the greatest understatement ever. My Suga is the best thing since slice bread in my life. I have truly obtained favor from the Lord (Proverbs 18:22) all because I am Stephanie's husband. God has truly given me a wife who has yet to tap the depth of her own prudence.

Proverbs 31 is the chapter that no woman wants to be compared to because that woman was practically  perfect. But there is a description at the beginning of Proverbs 31:10 that I think is fitting for my Suga, for she is an excellent wife. I truly believe her virtue is beyond comparison. I've heard men complaining about not wanting to go home or expressing some of the ups and downs of marriage and then I look at my wife and just have to praise God because I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I'm not trying to make the claim that my wife is perfect, I'm just saying she's excellent.

Who can find such a woman? I know if it were determined by my merits I would never have earned enough for her purchase for her worth is far above jewels. I was asked once "how did I know she was the one"? Initially that answer is really easy, when the smoke cleared she was the one who had my back. Stephanie was the one who was there for me, for me. I've learned how to love, forgive, and become a man in the past 13 years all because of Stephanie Smith. Stephanie's Texas strength, wisdom, and ability is unmatched by any woman that I know. And I just simply love me some Stephanie.

I conclude today's post by using my first pastor, Rev. Marcellus Wade, famous quote, Stephanie Smith I love you like a hog loves slop more than a kangaroo loves to hop! Thank you for the best thirteen years of my life Suga. I Love You

9/11 & The Gospel

11. September 2013 08:46 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

Today will be another remembering & honoring of the victims and families who suffered in the terrorists attacks on September 11, 2001. Every year since America was attacked we have vowed never to forget what took place beginning at 8:46 a.m. in New York. On that day several thousand families were destroyed by no fault of their own. Fathers kissed their loved ones goodbye with all intentions to return that evening but based on the events that would take place from that day till now none of those families are the same.

On September 10 it was business as usual and even after the attacks Mayor Rudy Giuliania “asked all Americans to defy the terrorists by returning to normal and getting back to work as quickly as possible”. Return to normal? Really? I could be wrong but there isn’t a family or a resident in New York that was directly affected by these events that has “returned to normal”. This is the type of hope that is offered to our world by those who live in this world. Giuliania continued to give the people a “true” glimmer of hope with these words, “The attacks of September 11 were intended to break our spirit, instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than every to live our lives in freedom”.

What hope does this give to a widow who has lost his or her spouse and best friend? What hope does this give a son or daughter that will never again play with their father? None!

As a believer I rejoice in what the Bible teaches me about hope. We hope in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.  And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5: 1 – 5)

Christians we must be ready to give the hope of the Gospel to these families and their loved ones as the world offers them little support and no real hope. One of the ways I want to encourage you to share this hope is by reminding them who God is through the words of the Psalmist in the 103rd Psalm.

God is a God who:
Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.

The Lord performs righteous deeds And judgments for all who are oppressed.
He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of Israel.
The
Lord is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.
He will not always strive with us, Nor will He keep His anger forever.

10 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
12 As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
13 Just as a father has compassion on his children,
So the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.
14 For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.

15 As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
16 When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer.
17 But the lovingkindness of the
Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, And His righteousness to children’s children,
18 To those who keep His covenant And remember His precepts to do them.

19 The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.

20 Bless the Lord, you His angels, Mighty in strength, who perform His word, Obeying the voice of His word! 21 Bless the Lord, all you His hosts, You who serve Him, doing His will.
22 Bless the
Lord, all you works of His, In all places of His dominion; Bless the Lord, O my soul!

Praise God for His lovingkindness and everlasting compassion. Pray for and share the Gospel with the broken hearted today for it is this world’s only true hope.

First Blog

9. September 2013 05:00 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

Ephesians 1:1-7

Ed a slave (doulos) of Christ Jesus by the will of God,

To the saints who are at Flint, MI and who are faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.

Welcome to my new blog. I want to invite everyone and anyone who would desire to read this blog for spiritual edification. Continuously in our society today the truth is more increasingly hard to come by. This blog will not have a corner on the truth but it will strive to proclaim it at all costs.

Some of the primary concentration you will find here will be commentary on issues such as:

§  Expository Preaching

§  The Church

§  Family Life

§  Family Discipleship

§  Biblical Worldview’s

§  Christian Life

§  Errors and fallacies in Christianity

§  Evangelism

§  The Reformation

§  Creation vs. Evolution

§  Church History

§  Conference Blogging

§  Many, many more.

My Calling

In Romans 11:13-15 the apostle Paul writes, But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them. For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?"

I rewrite that verse to say I am speaking to you unsaved in Flint, MI. inasmuch then as I am a slave of Christ to the lost I magnify this ministry, that if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow Flintstones and save some of them.

I will serve, I will preach, I will evangelize, and now I will blog, I will do whatever it takes that the gospel goes forth and people come to know God.

Rev. E. L. Smith

SDG

First Blog II

9. September 2013 02:50 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

Ephesians 1:1-7

§  Conference Blogging

§  Many, many more.

My Calling

Rev. E. L. Smith

SDG

Five Solas Pic

7. September 2013 14:59 by Edward L. Smith in   //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)

About Edward L. Smith

My ministry philosophy would consist of these essentials—a High View of God, the absolute authority of Scripture, Expository Preaching, Sound Doctrine, Personal Holiness, and a Biblical view of spiritual authority. All ministries must be God-Honoring, Christ-Centered, & Gospel Saturated. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Month List